I have been an avid baker for several years now.
I am however, ashamed to say that during all this time, I have never attempted to make the worlds most indulgent creation – the brownie.
This is, until now…
I proceeded to make a huge brownie traybake, with the added extra of yummy meringue frosting.
My mum and I just couldn’t resist keep going to the kitchen for another sneaky forkful!
For the brownie:
180g milk chocolate
45g white chocolate buttons
250g caster sugar
95g plain flour
30g cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
For the chewy meringue frosting:
3 egg whites
200g granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a baking dish with parchment (I used a 8-inch one).
2. Chop the milk chocolate block into chunks. Melt 110g in the microwave (stirring every 20-seconds) and leave to cool down. Save the rest of the milk and white chocolate for later.
3. Mix the sugar and butter together, then beat in the eggs for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
4. Whisk in the melted milk chocolate.
5. Sift in the plain flour, salt and cocoa powder. Fold the mixture just enough to incorporate the dry ingredients. If you overmix, you will end up with a more ‘cakey’ brownie.
6. Fold in the rest of the chocolate chunks, and transfer to the baking tin.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes and leave to cool completely. For super fudgey brownies, I’ve found that a baking time of just under 20 minutes is perfect!
Now, onto the frosting…
8. Whisk the egg whites together with 49g of granulated sugar until soft peaks form.
9. Heat 60ml of water with the rest of the sugar (151g) in a small saucepan to make a sugar syrup. Heat until a candy thermometer reads 235F.
10. With the mixer running on low, pour the sugar syrup into the egg white mixture in a steady stream. *Be careful* – the sugar syrup will be very hot. The heat from the sugar will cook the egg whites.
12. Continue to whisk the mixture until the frosting becomes cool and looks glossy and fluffy.
13. Assemble the brownie by using a palette knife to spread the meringue frosting to your desired thickness.
TIP: You can use melted chocolate and a cocktail stick to make a chocolate pattern on your brownie! Simple – yet very effective!
*Voila!* – you’re done!
Enjoy your trip to chocolate heaven!
Keep happy, healthy and safe.